- Hispanic Literature 92% 92%
- Humanities 89% 89%
- Percentage bars that look cool but are useless 87% 87%
Master of Arts in Hispanic Literature, August 2010. GPA 4.0/4.0 Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
- Co-Editor in Chief, La Marca Hispánica 2010 (academic journal). Organized, planned and directed the submission and selection processes, and efficiently coordinated a group of five editors and 14 Selection Committee members.
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities, Minor in Spanish, December 2007. GPA 3.88/4.0 Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
- Dean’s and Honor’s lists for academic achievement.
- Member of Sigma Delta Pi.
- Writing 95% 95%
- Translation 93% 93%
- Copyediting 85% 85%
- Spanish Teaching 80% 80%
Freelance Writer and Translator, English to Spanish, Spanish to English, Self-Employed (August 2014 – Present)
Writer and Translator, English to Spanish, Spanish to English Melaleuca, Inc., Idaho Falls, Idaho (October 2010 – July 2014)
- Wrote original articles on a wide range of topics for a monthly magazine, circulation 250,000.
- Helped create the Spanish magazine’s unique voice and identity by incorporating new sections relevant to Hispanic readers.
- Translated, edited and proofread a wide variety of documents for virtually all departments in the company (books, magazines, catalogs, scripts, legal documents, training materials, websites, etc.).
- Played a key role in the creation, revision, translation and adaptation of a vast array of printed and digital materials in record time in preparation of the company’s opening in Mexico.
Freelance Translator, English to Spanish (March 2008 – August 2008, February 2011 – Sep 2011)
- Translated religious addresses, official letters, and other documents for LDS Church leaders.
- Reviewed, edited, and proofread translations for the Spanish Liahona magazine (circulation 415,000 in 46 languages) demonstrating extreme attention to detail.
Illustrator / Project Supervisor Missionary Training Center, Provo, Utah (August 2009 – January 2010, April 2010 – August 2010)
- Developed and expanded the visual and written components of an interactive computer program for language learning.
- Coordinated a team of Spanish, French, Russian, and Cambodian teachers as project supervisor.
- Created original, ingenious visual aids meant to enhance language acquisition.
Spanish Student Instructor Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah (August 2008 – April 2010)
- Taught daily lessons for Spanish 101, 205, and 212R, emphasizing grammar, verbal communication and Hispanic culture awareness.
- Planned, revised, and amplified course content and materials, including midterm and final exams.
Spanish Teacher / Project Supervisor Missionary Training Center, Provo, Utah (March 2004 – April 2006, July 2007 – August 2009)
- Supervised and guided a team of teachers in the creation and recording of a 6-month audio project intended for language acquisition and practice, including a 140-page script.
- Edited and augmented Grammar Explanations: Spanish, a 230-page grammar manual, and a vast variety of language materials.
- Word 95% 95%
- InDesign 80% 80%
- Illustrator 60% 60%
- Trados 80% 80%
- Computer Expertise: Macintosh / Windows. Microsoft Office, Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro, WordPress, SDL Trados, MateCat and basic knowledge of Photoshop, Lightroom.
- Languages: Spanish (native language). English (superior written/spoken). Italian (advanced written/spoken).
- Writing and Editing: Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading capabilities, with successful completion of numerous projects. Special ability for creative writing—has been awarded in several literary contests and maintains a literary blog since 2011.
- Interpretation: Simultaneous and alternating (academic forums, religious meetings, medical reports).